Curried Rice with Raisins and Cashews is a quick and easy side dish that would be great as a Thanksgiving side dish.
Curried Rice with Raisins and Cashews is a quick and easy rice dish that would be great as a side for Thanksgiving. Turkey gets all the attention during Thanksgiving and the sides are usually neglected. So we end up with some uninspiring and boring side dishes.I recently made a Iranian Morsaw pilaf from Bon Appetit magazine. You guys have to check out their Instagram page, it's just amazing. I saw the very pretty looking rice dish and made it for a pot luck. It was very flavorful and absolutely delicious. Everyone liked it at the party. Here's a version of the Iranian pilaf that I made a few years back.I love rice dishes that are nutty, slightly sweet and slightly spicy. So I found this curried rice with raisins and cashews recipe in the Food Network magazine - Thanksgiving edition. It looked like a perfect side dish to make for any dinner party. It literally takes minutes to cook and tastes fantastic.I used S&B curry powder, but you can use any store bought or homemade curry powder you have on hand. Add it your menu this holiday season and I'm sure you will love it. I served the rice with sauteed edamame and asparagus.This goes for the November: Week 3, Cooking from Cookbook Challenge Group.
Curried Rice with Raisins and Cashews
- 2 cups Basmati Rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Unsalted butter or Olive oil
- 2 tsp curry powder
- ½ cup Cashews
- ½ cup Golden Raisins
- ½ cup Cilantro, finely hopped
- To taste salt
- Heat butter/ olive oil in a medium sauce pan. Add the onions and cook for 4~5 minutes or until translucent.
- Stir in the curry powder and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute until some of the grains start to turn opaque.
- Add 3cups of water and salt; bring to a boil. Lower the heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15~18 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Stir in the raisins and cashews. Cover and set aside for another 10 minutes before serving. Mix the chopped cilantro just before serving. Enjoy!!