Vegan Mofo Day 18:
This recipe from Vegetarian Times has been on my list "to-make" for a very long time and last night I made it. It is very simple to make, but is packed with flavor. I wanted to add some Caribbean flavored tofu I had on hand to the rice, but the flavors were too bold and I didn't think my 3 year old would like it much. So I made just the rice (which by the way, the kiddo loved) and tofu separately (I sautéed tofu with some green onions & spinach and seasoned it with coconut milk powder, salt & pepper). Yummy dinner I should say and perfect for a weeknight meal.
Recipe adapted from Vegetarian Times.
- 2 cups Rice Jasmine rice - preferably (I used Blue Ribbon brand long grain rice)
- 1½ cups Coconut milk Light
- 1 Ginger " - grated
- 2 cloves Garlic - finely minced
- 1 Cinnamon " stick
- 2 tsps Lemon zest - grated
- to taste Salt
- ½ tsp White Pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 tbsps Coconut Toasted Unsweetened (optional)
- Rinse and drain the rice. Keep aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat 2tsp butter (I used Earth Balance butter). Add ginger, garlic & cinnamon stick. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until it starts smell fragrant.
- Add rice and sauté for 2 minutes or until rice turns opaque.
- Add coconut milk, 2½ cups of water, sugar, pepper and salt. Bring to a simmer on medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low; cover and cook for 15 minutes (no peeking please). Let the rice rest for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork garnish with toasted unsweetened coconut (if using) and serve with any Asian or Caribbean side dish.