Today's Carrot dish for BM# 23 is a healthy curry that incorporates veggie and lentils, one of my favorite combination. Being a vegetarian, protein intake is something that I'm watchful about and when a dish incorporates a healthy veggie and a protein, I'm super happy.
Paruppu usili or Patoli (in telugu) is a dry-ish curry that can be made with different vegetable like green beans, cabbage, cluster beans etc. When I saw PJ post her carrot paruppu usili, it looked awesome and I decided to try it today. My mom made this dish and here's how she made it:
- 4 Carrots - medium chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 red chili Dry
- pinch Asafoetida
- 8 Curry leaves
- to taste Salt
Lentil Masala paste:
- ½ cup Chana dal
- 4 chilies Green
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1 Ginger "
- 2 tbsps Coconut - either fresh or dry
- Soak chana dal for 1 hour. Grind along with all the other ingredients listed under lentil masala paste into a coarse mixture adding very little water.
- Microwave or boil chopped carrot until cooked thoroughly. Keep aside.
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a saute pan, add cumin and mustard seeds, once the seeds start to splutter add dry red chili, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Next add the ground paste and cook until the mixture dries up. Constant stirring is required at this stage.
- Finally add the cooked carrot and salt. Mix well and cook for another 5 minutes on low flame.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and dal.
Tried this recipe?Mention @cooks_hideout or tag #cookshideout!
I make this offen at home. Just love it.
The Pumpkin Farm
very interesting and healthy recipe, lovely click
Global Tastes &amp; Travels Inc.
looks so colorful!
Global Tastes & Travels Inc.
looks so colorful!
yum yum!!! so delicious and so colorful!!! we generally make paruppu usli with beans,,, carrot is a nice idea!!SowmyaOngoing Event - CWF - Whole Wheat FlourOngoing Event - Let's Party - Eggless Bakes and Treats
Droolworthy patoli, love this paurppu usili with some hot sambhar bath. Loving that bowl.
Healthy and Yummy , loving it.........http://nayanas-kitchen-kreations.blogspot.in
simple and delicious :)Kalyani Sizzling Tastebuds
Must say the entire colour combination rocks!..very healthy dish
I always make usili with cluster beans or beans, now I will try making with carrot too :). Nice clicks!
Looks lovely. Patoli is one dish I make regularly at my home. I detest the frying part of the paste though. I simply steam it and add it to the curry.
Good... 🙂 Parupusili is my facorite.. We generally make this only with beans.. Should give this a try...