VeganMofo Day 10: I had plans to post everyday for this year’s Veganmofo. So much for my wishful thinking, little did I realize that tending for a newborn can be so time consuming, even though all I’m doing is holding her so she doesn’t spit up or rocking her to sleep. It’s been 5 years since we had done this with my older one and I don’t really remember what we did when he was a little baby. Time surely flies..
Masoor Dal Sambar
- ½ cup Masoor Dal
- 1 Onion - medium, thinly sliced
- 1 Tomato - medium, chopped
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 3 tbsp Tamarind paste
- to taste Salt
- 2 tbsps Coriander leaves - finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 Red Chili Dry
- 6 - 8 Curry Leaves
- Pressure cook masoor dal (red lentils) until very tender and mushy.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a sauce pan, add the tempering ingredients and once the seeds start to splutter, add the onions and saute until lightly browned around the edges.
- Next add the tomatoes and cook covered until mushy.
- Add tamarind paste, sambar powder and turmeric, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked dal along with 1-2 cups of water and salt; bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve with rice or idlis or dosas.