Cheese Pizza Pops are very cheesy and addictive. Perfect for after-school snack for the kids.
So for the final pizza recipe for this week’s Bake-athon, I had quite a few recipes that I wanted to try. But with the husband travelling, I didn’t want to make a whole pie and have leftovers. So when I saw this recipe on the Kitchn site, I knew I had to make these Cheese Pizza Pops for the kids.Cheese Pizza Pops are nothing but bite sized pizza or may be mini size cheese calzones. Frozen pizza bites are quite popular here in the US. There is absolutely no need to buy these from the store because they are very easy to make at home. All you need is pizza dough, pizza sauce and grated cheese.Store bought pizza dough would work in a pinch. I’ve included an easy to make pizza dough recipe that works great here. Double or triple the quantities to make these for a crowd. The original recipe had crumbled sausage in it. I wanted to add some veggies like broccoli or spinach — but both my kids have different tastes, so had to make something that both of them like. Feel free to add some veggies to the filling, but don’t over-do it.
I made these cheese pizza pops for my kids after-school snack. My son said that the house smelled like a pizza place. My daughter loved them so much that she said she could eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Well, that is not happening — but I’m sure I will be making them quite often.
This is part of the Bake-a-thon 2017.
Cheese Pizza Pops
For the Pizza Dough:
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup Wholewheat flour
- 1 tsp Instant Yeast
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ salt salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup Luke Warm Water
For the Filling:
- ½ cup Pizza Sauce (homemade or storebought)
- 1 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- To taste kosher salt, for sprinkling
For the Pizza Dough:
- Combine all the ingredients for the dough in a medium mixing bowl. Mix and knead to form a smooth, pliable dough. Takes about 10 minutes by hand and 7~8 minutes on a stand mixer.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover and set aside for about 1½~2 hours.
Make the Filling:
- In a mixing bowl, combine pizza sauce and grated cheese.
Make Pizza Pops:
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Gently deflate the dough and divide the dough into 2 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ¼" thick rectangle that is 4" wide and 14~16" long.
- Down one side of the dough, place about 1tsp of the filling about 1" apart. Fold the dough over the filling and pinch it close. Cut the dough around the filling and pinch all the seams shut. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Place the pizza pops on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt.
- Bake for 8~10 minutes or until the pizza pops are golden and baked. Remove from the oven and serve hot. Enjoy!!