Quick and easy Oats and Chia Porridge aka Danish Grød. Served with cardamom flavored berries, this is a healthy and nutritious start to any day.
We are starting a brand new edition of blogging marathon today. Valli wanted us to pick one from ‘Paleo, Gluten free and Vegan’ recipes and I chose vegan dishes for this week. First up is this quick and easy to make Oats and chia porridge that is served with cardamom flavored berries. It is called Grød in Danish.I love oats and can have it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I usually make these overnight oats (with chocolate or berries) for breakfast. For lunch and dinner, I have it with curry and/ or dal.
Today’s oat and chia porridge takes about 10-15 mins to make and is thick, creamy and delicious. One of my new year resolution is to include more healthy ingredients in my diet. Chia seeds are one of them. My husband adds them to his smoothies but I’m still learning how to add them into recipes.So when I saw this ‘Danish Grød’ recipe in Whole Bowls cookbook, I had to give it a try. Chia seeds are cooked with oats to make the porridge thick and creamy. The porridge is topped with cardamom flavored mixed berries.
It smells absolutely amazing while cooking the berries. Try this slightly and very yummy oats and chia porridge – I’m sure you’ll love it.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 97.
Danish Grød (Oatmeal Chia Porridge)
For the Oats:
- 2/3 cup Rolled Oats (or quick cooking steel cut oats)
- 2 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp Chia seeds
For the Topping:
- 1 cup Mixed Berries, fresh or frozen
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp Ground Cardamom
- As needed Chopped Nuts
- As needed Non dairy yogurt (optional)
- As needed Banana slices
- Combine milk, oats and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low and cook stirring constantly, about 3~5 minutes.
- Stir in the chia seeds and cook stirring for another 3~5 minutes, or until the mixture thickens.
- In a small saucepan, combine berries, maple syrup and ground cardamom. Cover and cook till the berries are warmed through and turn soft, about 3~5 minutes.
- To serve, divide the oats porridge equally between the two bowls, top with the berries and Enjoy!!