Blogging Marathon# 30: Week 2/ Day 3
Theme: Get it Rolled
Dish: Eggless Stuffed French Toast Roll Ups
Final day of Blogging marathon and today's dish was the toughest of all to select. I usually make a note of all the dishes that I want to make for the theme right after Valli announces the themes. But this week under the theme 'Get it Rolled' I had the first two dishes cooked and done (Summer Rolls & Chana Dal Kebabs) long back, but the third dish was eluding me.
I probably went through 10 different things to make--mentally, but some seemed too elaborate (no time for that) or involved deep frying (it's too hot to deep fry) or I didn't have the ingredients to make a dish. As I was quickly exhausting all my options, one morning I woke up and wanted to make French toast for breakfast and remembered seeing French Toast roll ups on Pinterest. I made them eggless following Hari Chandana's recipe from here.
All in all this is a very easy breakfast to make and the roll ups look very fancy that they can served to guests at a breakfast or brunch party. Fillings are also very customizable. I used cream cheese and strawberry filling (I had this leftover after filling a cake) for us adults and nutella for the kid. My husband couldn't really tell that this was an eggless French toast and it smelled amazing while making them.
- 6 Bread (I used Whole grain bread) Slices
- ¾ cup Milk
- 2 tbsps Custard powder (I used Brown & Polson brand)
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon Ground (optional)
- Cream cheese strawberries Nutella For filling - , Chopped (or fresh Strawberry filling-recipe follows), etc.,
- Cinnamon Sugar - for rolling (optional)
For Fresh Strawberry Filling:
- 3 cups Strawberries - thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Water
- 2 tsps Corn Starch
- Heat milk until lightly warm to touch. Whisk in custard powder, sugar and ground cinnnamon (if using) and mix until combined. Pour this into a pie plate or other shallow bowl and set aside.
- Roll the bread slices to flatten them a little using a rolling pin. Removing the edges is optional, I left them on mine.
- Spread the filling (s) of choice on the bottom quarter of the bread and roll it into a tight roll.
- Heat 2tbsp butter (I used Earth balance butter) in a skillet on medium heat.
- Dip the bread roll in milk mixture, roll it around so that it absorbs milk evenly, then place seam side down in the preheated skillet. Cook until all sides are evenly browned, about 3-5 minutes on medium flame.
- Remove and roll in cinnamon suagr for extra layer of sweetness and yumminess, I skipped this step as I felt my French toast were sweet enough. Enjoy right away with a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Fresh Strawberry Filling: Crush ½cup of berries. Add water and cook in a small saucepan for 2 minutes. Sieve this mixture to get strawberry juice.
- Mix corn starch and sugar; gradually add the berry juice to corn starch mixture and mix well. Cook this mixture on medium flame until it starts to thicken and becomes clear.
- Add the cooked corn starch mixture to the remaining sliced strawberries, mix well and let cool completely. Use this to fill layer cakes or fill French toasts or use as topping on pancakes or ice creams.