Blogging Marathon# 53: Week 4/ Day 3
Theme: Bookmarked Recipes — Veena’s Veg Nation
Dish: Eggless Date & Walnut Cake
For the final day of this month’s blogging marathon, I picked this yummy looking Eggless Dates Cake from Veena’s blog. I recently bought a bag of seedless dates from Costco and have been snacking on them almost everyday. So when I saw this recipe, I knew it would be perfect to use some of the dates.This cake is eggless and can be made with just a few basic ingredients. If you are using dates with seeds, then the dates need to be soaked in milk overnight to help in removing the seeds. I used seedless dates, so just warmed it in the microwave to make them a little soft.I added a little bit of wholewheat pastry flour along with all purpose flour to make add some fiber to the cake. Also I reduced the sugar quantity from the original recipe and it was just the right sweetness for us.Cake turned out soft & fluffy. Dates add a nice caramel flavor and a rich chocolaty color to the cake. I fooled my son into tasting it and he loved it even though it wasn’t chocolate. This is a crowd pleasing cake — everyone who tasted it, loved it.Recipe adapted from Veena’s recipe:
Ingredients: Makes 1 mini bundt cake or 10 mini bundt cupcakes or 1 8″ round cake pan
Eggless Date & Walnut Cake
- ¾ cup All purpose flour
- ¼ cup Whole wheat pastry flour (or use 1cup of all purpose flour)
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- a pinch Salt
- 18 Dates Seedless
- ¾ cup Milk
- ½ cup Brown Sugar - (increase to ¾cup if you want the cake sweeter)
- ½ cup Oil
- 2 tbsps Walnuts Cashews or - , finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a mini bundt cake pan or a bundt cupcake cake pan or a 8" cake pan with cooking spray.
- Combine dates and milk in a microwaveable container and heat for 30~60seconds. Let the mixture cool a little, then grind into a smooth paste along with the sugar.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dates mixture, oil, chopped walnuts and mix well until combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20~22 minutes in mini bundt cake or cupcake pan or for 30~35 minutes in 8" round cake pan.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 5~10 minutes. Remove onto a cooling rack to cool completely.