Blogging Marathon# 43: Week 1/ Day 3
Theme: Tame the Yeast
Dish: Eggless French Toast
For the final day of this week’s marathon, I made a simple eggless French toast using this No-Knead Light Whole wheat bread. I love French toast, be it with egg or without. I like the puffy slightly sweet bread drizzled with some maple syrup or honey.
It’s been a while I made French toast and wanted to make it with the first batch of whole-wheat bread, but that loaf was all gone in a blink of an eye. So I baked another loaf and told my mom clearly that the leftovers were for French toast and nothing else. Thankfully I had a few end slices left to make this yummy treat that can be served for breakfast or as an evening snack.
Eggless French Toast (with Custard powder)
- 4 Bread Slices - thickly cut (day old bread is best here)
- ½ cup Milk
- 2 tbsps Custard Powder (corn starch can be used instead)
- 2 tbsps Sugar (add less sugar if you don't like sweet French Toast)
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
- In a wide plate or a pie pan; whisk custard powder and sugar into milk until well combined.
- Heat a griddle/ tawa on medium heat.
- Dip a bread slice in the milk mixture making sure that the whole bread gets a good coating of the custard mixture. Do not leave the bread in the milk for too long -- that might cause the bread to get too soggy.
- Melt 1tbsp butter on the griddle and cook the custard soaked bread for 2~3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Remove onto a plate and repeat the remaining bread. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup or honey or just as is. This was sweet enough for us.