For this month's Bread Bakers, our host Mayuri wanted us to make try pancakes from around the world. My search led me to these delicious Stuffed Korean pancakes called Hotteok. Recipe is from 'Cook Korean' cookbook. Apparently these Brown sugar stuffed pancakes are very popular street food in Korea. They are served piping hot straight out of the pan, the brown sugar melts and oozes out of the pocket when you take the first bite.The dough is made with half all purpose flour (in my case, I used some wholewheat pastry flour) and half sweet rice flour. The dough is made with yeast and needs time to rise, so make sure to wake up a little early if you want to make these for breakfast.The stuffing has brown sugar mixed in with finely chopped nuts (like peanuts, walnuts, pecans etc) and ground cinnamon. I made half of my hotteok with brown sugar & nuts and the other half with Nutella, for the kids. They really enjoyed with these fluffy and delicious pancakes.
Don't forget to check out what Pancakes my fellow Bread Bakers have made today:
- Alagar Kovil Dosai from Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Blueberry Dutch Baby from Hostess At Heart
- Brown Rice Dosa (Indian Savory Crepes) from Spiceroots
- Buckwheat, Blackberry and Saffron Drop Scones from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Chinese Scallion Pancakes from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Corn Pancakes from Kids and Chic
- Crepes from A Baker’s House
- Dutch baby from Herbivore Cucina
- Galettes de sarrasin from The Bread She Bakes
- Greek Tiganites from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Hotteok ( Korean Pancakes) from Cook’s Hideout
- Hotteok (Korean Stuffed Pancakes) from Passion Kneaded
- Kabalagala (Ugandan Pancakes) from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Keralan Yeast Appams from Food Lust People Love
- Malpua (Sweet Indian Crepes) from SimplyVeggies
- Oven Baked Tropical Pancakes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pannukkau (Finish Pancakes) from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Potato Latkes (Jewish Pancakes) from Sneha’s Recipes
- Savory Finnish Baked Pancakes(Pannukakku) with Smoked Salmon from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Srilankan Hoppers from I camp in my Kitchen
- Strawberry Nutella Crepes from Spill the Spices
- Swedish Pancakes from Palatable Pastime
- Sweet Potato Pancakes with Brown Sugar and Pecan Sauce from A Salad For All Seasons
- Wholegrain Yeast Pancakes from Ambrosia
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to [email protected]
Hotteok (Stuffed Korean Pancakes)
For the Dough:
- 1 cup All purpose flour*
- 1 cup Sweet Rice flour
- 2¼ teaspoons Instant Yeast
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon Oil
For the filling:
- ½ cup Brown sugar
- ½ cup Nuts (peanuts, pecans or walnuts), finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
Make the Dough:
- In a mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, sweet rice flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Mix well.
- Add lukewarm milk and oil; mix well. This is a very sticky dough. Cover and set aside for 1 hour.
- Gently deflate the dough and stir well 3~4 times. Cover and set aside for another 30~40 minutes.
Make the Filling:
- Combine all the ingredients for the filling in a small bowl.
Make the Pancakes:
- Generously flour the work surface and divide the dough into 8 pieces. Take a piece of the dough in the palm, roll it into a ball and flatten it lightly.
- Put about 1~2tbsp filling in the middle of the dough. Press lightly with a spoon and pull the dough over the filling. Form into a ball and flatten it lightly.
- Heat 3~4tbsp oil in a nonstick pan, place the pancakes on the pan and cook on medium flame for 2~3 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown and crispy. Gently flip and cook on the other side for 2~3 minutes.
- Serve right away!!