Peanut noodles made in Indian style is a delicious one pot meal with veggies, noodles and spicy peanut powder. A 30 minute meal that is perfect for any weeknight.
We start a brand new of blogging marathon today and my theme for this week is ‘Pizza & Pasta’ for kids delight event. Our lovely BM host Valli is hosting this month’s Kid’s Delight event. So I have some delicious and interesting pasta and pizza coming up this week. All of them have been approved by my kids.
Kid Friendly Dishes:
My kids were very excited about this week’s theme and had quite a few ideas of their own. My 12 year and 7 year old daughter have very different tastes and food preferences. But thankfully pasta and pizza are dishes that they both agree on.
Indian Style Peanut Noodles:
These Indian style Peanut noodles were a big hit with both of them. Recipe is from Food52 and I’ve made it quite a few times already after getting numerous requests from the kids.
What I love about this dish:
- It is easy to make – takes about 30 minutes to put everything together.
- It is a versatile recipe – use any and all veggies that your kiddos like. I used grated carrot, orange pepper. But feel free to use snap peas, broccoli, kale, spinach, zucchini etc.
- Add as much or as little of the spicy peanut powder to the noodles – we love peanuts at home, so I added quite a bit in my dish. But feel free to use as much as you want. Leftover peanut powder stays fresh for at least 2~3 weeks in a airtight container stored in a cool, dry place.
- Peanut powder can be used to flavor rice dishes and I’ve even added it to poha with excellent results.
- Add protein of choice – I found baked tofu and chickpeas were my family favorites. Edamame is another great option.
- Any shaped pasta can be used. Spaghetti or penne or just about anything you have in the pantry will work.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 105.
Indian Style Peanut Noodles
For the Noodles:
- 8 oz. Noodles - Udon, Soba or Spaghetti would work here
- 2 tbsp Canola or Vegetable Oil*
- 1 Small Red Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 Medium Red, yellow or Orange Pepper, chopped
- 1 Medium Carrot, grated
- 6 Scallions, chopped
- 1 cup Baked Tofu, chopped
- 2~3 tbsp soy sauce
- To taste salt
For the Spicy Peanut Powder:
- 1 cup Peanuts (blanched, preferred)
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ½~1 tsp Red Chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- As needed Chili garlic sauce (optional)
- Dry roast the peanuts until golden brown on all sides. Set aside to cool. Once cool enough to handle, blend the peanuts with ground cumin, red chili powder and salt into a coarse powder. Store the ground peanuts in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
- Cook noodles as per package instructions. Reserve 1 cup of cooking water. Drain and set aside until ready to use.
- While the noodles are cooking, heat oil in a large skillet, add the onions and garlic; cook till the onions turn translucent, about 3~4 minutes.
- Add the chopped scallions and cook for 2 minutes. Next add the other veggies and cook till they are fork tender, but not mushy.
- Add 2~3tbsp peanut powder and mix well. Stir in the soy sauce and mix until incorporated.
- Add the drained noodles and toss them until they are well coated with the veggies. Add the reserved cooking water as needed to loosen the sauce. Serve warm and Enjoy with chili garlic sauce!!