Vegan lemon cream sauce is easy to make and is great with any kind of pasta or even veggie noodles. Great weeknight dinner that comes together in less than 30 minutes.
I made an not-so-usual pasta sauce for day 2 pasta sauce for Day 2 of this week’s Kid friendly ‘Pizza & Pasta’ theme. This vegan lemon cream sauce is great to use for any kind of pasta shape. This is my copycat recipe of Noodles & Co.’s zoodles recipe. I followed suite and served the sauce with zucchini noodles.
Kid Friendly Dish:
So I was really surprised to see my kids actually like this combination. I should probably say my 12 year old loved it more than my 7 year old. She didn’t really care for the lemon sauce, but she finished her plate without much complaining – that’s a win in my book.
Vegan Lemon Cream Sauce:
This sauce cannot be simpler to make. All you need is cream, lemon zest and juice. I used almond creamer, but soy or coconut creamer would also work here.
Use as many veggies as you like – broccoli, asparagus, green beans, peppers etc are all good options.
Make it a complete meal by adding a protein – baked tofu, chickpeas or other beans, edamame are excellent vegetarian choices.
Lemon zest and lemon juice add a nice tang to this creamy sauce. It can be used with any shaped pasta, from penne to spaghetti. I used zucchini noodles in the dish you see in the photos, but I’ve also made it with other short & long pasta shapes. Do give this unusual sauce a try, I am sure you will family will enjoy it as much as mine.
Vegan Lemon Cream Sauce for Pasta
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium Shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 Garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 Small Red or Yellow Pepper, chopped
- 1 Medium Tomato, chopped
- ½ cup Baked Tofu (store bought or homemade)
- ½ cup Vegan Creamer (I used almond creamer)
- 1 Small Organic Lemon, zest and juice
- To taste Salt Pepper
- 4 oz. Dry Pasta (shape of your choice) I used Zucchini noodles
- 2 tbsp Wholewheat Bread Crumbs (optional)
- Cook pasta as per package directions. Reserve ½ cup of cooking water - drain.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet, add shallot and garlic - cook for 2~3 minutes or until shallot is translucent.
- Add peppers and cook till crisp tender. Stir in the tomatoes and baked tofu and cook till tomatoes are warmed through - but not mushy. Season with salt & pepper.
- Stir in cream and lemon zest. Cook on medium-low flame until the sauce thickens, about 2~3 minutes.
- Add the drained pasta or zucchini noodles (in my case) and cook till heated through. Add reserved pasta cooking water, if the sauce looks too thick. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs, if using and Serve warm and enjoy!!