We rarely get really small baby eggplants here, so it took me a while to get to this recipe. But luckily my mom found some beautiful baby eggplants at the Indian grocery a month back and I made this curry right away (so it has been sitting in the drafts for while :-)).
There is no stuffing or grinding involved in this dish and is quite easy to make. It is basically eggplants cooked in spicy onion-tomato gravy. It tastes good with rice and roti.
Muvva Vankaya Kura (Baby Eggplant Curry)
- 10 ~ 12 Eggplants Baby
- 1 Onion -large, finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes - medium, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger+garlic paste
- 2 Chilies Green - slit
- 1 tsp Coriander Ground
- ½ tsp Cumin Ground
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- ½ ~ 1 tsps Chili powder Red - (adjust as per taste)
- 2 tbsp Cilantro - , finely chopped
- to taste Salt
- Trim the stems and make a '+' cut on the base. Soak them in salted water.
- Heat 2tbsp oil, add the chopped onions, green chilies, ginger+garlic paste and cook till the onions are lightly browned around the edges.
- Add the eggplants, cover and cook till they are tender.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes, ground coriander, cumin, turmeric, red chili powder and salt. Cook till the tomatoes turn mushy. Add water if the curry looks too dry.
- Serve with rice or roti.