My in-laws are visiting us from India and we are having a great time eating yummy snacks and food for the past 2 weeks. My MIL made these puris, they are similar to baturas but much faster to make.
For Maida Puri:
- 1 cup Maida (All purpose flour)
- ¼ cup Sooji (semolina)
- pinch Salt
For Aloo Kurma:
- 3 Potatoes – medium, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 Onion – medium, roughly chopped
- 4 chilies Green – medium
- ½ cup Coconut milk
- ½ cup Coriander leaves
- ¼ cup Mint leaves
- 1 Ginger ”
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsps Yogurt
- to taste Salt
To make Maida Poori:
- Mix maida, sooji and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
- Add warm oil to the well, slowly mix in the flour. Add water as needed and make firm dough (thicker than chapathi dough). Cover and set aside for 10-15minutes.
- Roll out into 4”-5” diameter puris. Deep fry until golden and remove onto paper towels to absorb excess oil. Serve hot with any curry.
To make Aloo Kurma:
- Grind onions, chilies, ginger, garlic, coriander and mint into a smooth paste.
- Add 1tbsp oil in a pressure cooker, add the onion paste and sauté till slightly golden. Add potato, sauté for 5 minutes. Add coconut milk, yogurt, salt and 1cup water. Cover and cook for 2 whistles. Serve with puris.