Here's something different from all the different baking and kid friendly dishes I have been posting all week. A deliciously creamy Indian dessert made with yogurt and flavored with saffron and served with some fruit.
I was never a big fan of Shrikhand growing up and don't remember eating it many times. Even after started liking it, I've never made it at home because straining the yogurt seemed to be a big step and also I didn't want my yogurt-hating husband to find some strange contraption in the fridge and chuck it without telling me (I have done something similar to his stuff, so I'm sure he's probably waiting to take revenge). But once I discovered Greek yogurt, it is now a life changer.
I love Chobani Greek yogurt and buy the plain, either non-fat or 2% quite often. I make salad dressings, raitas and if I am really feeling indulgent then this strawberry shrikhand or this frozen yogurt.
Today's yogurt creation is very easy to make with very few ingredients -- yogurt, sugar, saffron and cardamom. Recipe is from the cookbook 'Vegetarian Cooking of India' by Mridula Baljekar. The fruits used for serving is up to once fancy -- use seasonal fruits or even frozen fruit. All I had was some oranges and pomegranate and that is what I used in here. But other fruits like mango, berries, persimmon etc can also be used.
[wpurp-searchable-recipe]Mixed Fruit ShrikhandGreek Yogurt - (or use regular yogurt that is strained for at least 6 hours in the fridge), Sugar (adjust as per taste), Saffron - crushed, Ground Cardamom, Hot Milk, Mixed Fruits - Orange segments, pomegranate iris, chopped mango etc., Soak the crushed saffron in hot milk for 10 minutes.; In a mixing bowl, beat the yogurt until smooth. Add the sugar, ground cardamom and saffron milk along with all the threads of saffron. Mix well and chill for at least 2 hours.; [/wpurp-searchable-recipe]
- 2 cups Greek Yogurt or use regular yogurt that is strained for at least 6 hours in the fridge
- ¼~⅓ cup Sugar, adjust as per taste
- ⅛ tsp Saffron, crushed
- ¼ tsp Ground Cardamom
- 2 tsp Hot Milk
- 1 cup Mixed Fruits – Orange segments, pomegranate iris, chopped mango etc.
- Soak the crushed saffron in hot milk for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the yogurt until smooth.
- Add the sugar, ground cardamom and saffron milk along with all the threads of saffron. Mix well and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Serve the Shrikhand either layered with the fruit or topped with the fruit.