BM# 68-Cooking Carnival: Day 10
Theme of Week 3: Vegetables in Snacks
Dish: Mixed Vegetable Ponganalu
Paniyaram/ Ponganalu are usually made with either dosa or idli batter and are flavored with cumin seeds, onions, ginger etc. I saw this vegetable paniyaram recipe on one of the Telugu cooking show and it seemed like a great way to add veggies to diet.
You can use either idli batter or dosa batter to make these paniyaram. I used some leftover idli batter in this recipe. If you are concerned that the veggies won’t soften after cooking, then make sure to chop them very fine. Serve these for breakfast or snack with your favorite chutney.
Mixed Vegetable Ponganalu
- 3 tbsps Green beans , finely chopped
- 3 tbsps Pepper Green , finely chopped
- 3 tbsps Carrot , grated
- 1 Onion Small , finely chopped
- 2 chilies Green , finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger , finely grated
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tbsps Cilantro , finly chopped
- To taste Salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Set aside for 15~20 minutes.
- Heat ponganalu/ paniyaram/aebleskiver pan on medium heat. Once the pan is hot enough, pour about ½tsp oil or ghee in each cavity.
- Pour about 1~2tbsp of the batter in each, cover the pan and cook till the bottom of the paniyaram turn golden brown, 2~3 minutes. Gently flip each paniyaram and cook on the other side until golden, about 2 minutes. Drizzle in a little more oil of ghee if desired while cooking.
- Remove from the pan and serve hot with your favorite chutney.