This is the last of the banana recipes from my drafts. This banana bread recipe uses 2 ingredients that I always have on hand, my soudough starter and of course the bananas. My starter is now more than 3 years old and it has been through a lot already in these 3 years. I forget to feed it regularly, but in spite of the neglect it has been doing well (knock on wood).
Even though this bread has sourdough, it does not taste sour. All you can taste is the banana. I think the sourdough makes the bread really moist and gives it a soft crumb.
Recipe is adapted from Fresh Loaf. I made this bread in April for the first time and made it twice since then. I added chopped walnuts the first time and then subbed them with chocolate chips in the next two attempts. Bread is delicious either way. My son loves it a lot and wants a slice for breakfast and snack.
- 2 cups All purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ⅓ cup Vegetable or Canola Oil
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 cup Mashed Banana, from 2 medium size very ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon Egg replacer, whisked in 3 tablespoons water*
- 1 cup Sourdough Starter, unfed
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Chocolate chips or chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9"x5" loaf pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a bowl, mix oil and sugar until sugar is almost dissolved. Add egg replacer (or egg) and mix well. Next add mashed banana, sourdough starter and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips or chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 50 - 60 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool the bread in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove onto the cooling rack and cool completely before slicing.
- Enjoy with a smear of nutella or butter.
- Use 1 cup all purpose flour and 1 cup wholewheat flour.
- Use 1 large egg instead of egg replacer.