Instant Pot Steamed Date Pudding is a decadent and delicious dessert that is served warm with a drizzle of caramel sauce. This is a great dessert to make ahead of time.
For my final BM post for the year, I made a sweet treat. Keeping with the theme of the week, here’s a steamed date pudding that is absolutely decadent and delicious. I steamed the pudding in Instant pot but it can also be baked in the oven like a cake.
I wanted to make steamed pudding for this week. But I didn’t have a recipe or didn’t really know what steamed pudding was. Heard about it on one of the British cooking shows. But I thought pudding was a dairy based dessert like this one or this bread pudding.
Pudding in UK:
In US it means a dairy based dish usually sweet like a custard or a mousse. Apparently in the UK, the word pudding refers to dessert course in general. So it could be a cake, rice pudding etc etc.
Ingredients for Steamed Date Pudding:
I made this steamed date pudding yesterday for Christmas. It has a nice, soft cakey consistency. I followed the recipe from here. I made the recipe eggless by using egg replacer powder instead of an egg. Flaxseed egg would also work perfectly in this recipe.
The main ingredient in this instant pot steamed date pudding are the dates. They need to be deseeded and finely chopped. All the other ingredients are regular cake ingredients – flour, baking powder, milk, butter and spices.
Ground cinnamon and allspice make the festive smell and taste perfectly festive. Make this during the holiday season, I am sure your family and friends will enjoy it as much as our family did.
Steamed Date Pudding
- ½ cup Dates, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup Hot Water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground All spice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Egg replacer powder whisked with 3tbsp water
- Lightly grease 4 4oz. ramekins with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine dates, baking soda, hot water and maple syrup. Mix and set aside,
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter along with the milk.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, spices and salt. Add the egg replacer mixture and mix well.
- Stir in the dates and the butter mixture.
- Divide the batter evenly between the ramekins. Cover each ramekin with a greased aluminum foil. Place them on a rack in the Instant Pot.
- Pour enough hot water to cover the ramekins up to halfway. Cover and set to 'Steam' and cook for 25 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally. Carefully remove and serve warm with generous drizzle of caramel sauce. ENJOY!!
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 95.