BM# 76: Week 3/ Day 2
Theme: Picnic Hamper
Dish: Tofu Lettuce Wraps
Today I have a fresh and delicious Tofu lettuce wraps to pack in the picnic hamper. These are perfect for picnics because they are great to serve at room temperature and the recipe can be easily adjusted to make for 2 or 10. Also the tofu mixture can be made at least a couple of days ahead of time and can be refrigerated until ready to pack and take.This recipe is from Well Plated and it is a copy cat recipe for the very famous PF Chang’s Tofu lettuce wraps. I love the original from the restaurant — the crisp lettuce served with the delicious tofu filling — it’s just delicious. But it has been quite some time that we visited PF Chang’s and I started craving for their yummy appetizer. A quick google search landed me on Well Plated and I’m so glad that I did.This has got to be one of my favorite tofu recipes of all times. The filling with crumbled tofu, mushrooms, water chestnuts cooked in hoisin-soy sauce mixture is just amazing. I ate the filling right out of the hot pan by the spoonfuls in the name of tasting the dish. After eating the lettuce wraps, I ate the leftover filling straight out of the fridge. It is just too darn delicious.I bought some artisan romaine lettuce from Costco. These are about half the size of the regular lettuce and are just perfect for one or two bites. If you can’t find those, then use the inner leaves of regular romaine lettuce or butter lettuce. Serve the fillings along side the lettuce leaves either as an appetizer or a light vegetarian meal at the picnic.
Tofu Lettuce Wraps
- 8~10 Large Lettuce Leaves, either Romaine or Butter lettuce leaves
- 1 14 oz. Container of Extra firm Tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 cup Cremini or baby bella mushromms, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1" piece of Ginger, finely grated
- ½ cup Water Chestnuts, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp Crushed Red Pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 Green Onions, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 3 tbsp Low sodium Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- To taste Salt Pepper
- As needed Grated Carrot (optional, for garnish)
- As needed Roasted Peanuts, chopped, for garnish
- Combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil in a small bowl. Whisk well and set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick pan on medium-high heat. Crumble the tofu and add to the pan. Cook as you crumble further until the mixture starts to turn lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic; cook till fragrant, about 1~2 minutes.
- Next add the mushrooms and cook till the mushrooms start to cook down and the mixture is not wet anymore.
- Stir in the water chestnuts, crushed red pepper flakes and half of the chopped green onions. Cook for 1~2 minutes.
- Pour the sauce into the pan and stir to coat. Cook till the sauce starts to bubble and is warmed through, about 1~2 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into individual lettuce leaves. Top with grated carrot, chopped peanuts and remaining chopped scallions. Serve right away.