This is one of my many favorite eggplant dishes. Before the beginning of summer (usually in January and February), eggplants taste the best in India. In summer, they tend to get bitter and seedier (not sure if that’s the right word, but you get the point). My mom makes at least a dozen different dishes with brinjals (eggplants are called brinjals in India). This dish needs young, good tasting brinjals since the dish is seasoned with just ginger and green chilies with no other masalas. Small Indian eggplants (brinjals) taste the best for this dish.
- 10 Brinjals (small eggplants-green or purple) – chopped
- 2 cups broad beans Indian – chopped
- 6 chilies Green – chopped
- 1 Ginger ” – chopped fine
- 2 chilies Red
- 4 Curry leaves
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- to taste Salt
- Heat 1tbsp of oil in a pan on medium-low flame, add cumin and mustard seeds, red chilies and curry leaves. Fry till the seeds splutter.
- Add green chilies and ginger, fry for 1 minute.
- Add chopped brinjal and broad beans, mix well, cook covered until the veggies are tender for about 10-12 minutes.
- Season with salt, cook for another 2 minutes. Serve with rice.