Kakarakaya Masala Kura (Bitter Gourd in Peanut Gravy)
I have been thinking of using peanuts in the gravy and wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, but the curry turned out pretty good and tasted even better for lunch the next day.
Kakarakaya Masala Kura
- Cook kakarakaya as described above. Keep aside.
- Heat 1tsp oil in a saute pan; add onions and stir fry till lightly browned. Add g+g paste and tomatoes; cook till tomatoes turn mushy. Remove and let cool.
- Heat 1tbsp oil to the same pan; add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, once the seeds start spluttering, add curry leavs and red chilies. Saute for a minute.
- Then add half cooked kakarakaya; cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, blend peanuts along with sauted onions, tamarind paste and jaggery with 1/2 cup of water.
- Add peanut mixture to kakarakaya along with red chili powder and salt. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until all the flavors mingle.
- Enjoy with steamed rice.
This is my entry to JFI: Peanuts. Remember to send in your entries before end of day on July 31st. I'll try to have the round up done on the weekend.