I love dishes that include lentils and one of my favorite ways of enjoying them is in fritter form. So when I saw this recipe for lentil fritter curry or Bora’r Jhol on Sandeepa’s blog, I wanted to make it for BM# 22.
Bengali Lentil Fritters Curry (Bora'r Jhol)
For Lentil Fritters (Daler Bora):
- ½ cup Chana dal
- ½ cup Masoor dal (I only has 2-3 tbsp of masoor dal, so I added moong dal also)
- 2 chilies Green
- 1 Ginger "
- 1 tsp Cumin Ground
- to taste Salt
For the Curry:
- 1 Onion - medium, chopped
- 1 Potato -medium, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tomato - medium, chopped
- 2 chilies Green - slit
- 1 Ginger " - finely grated
- 1 tsp Panch Phoron
- ½ tsp Cumin Ground
- 1 tsp Coriander Ground
- ½ tsp chili powder Red (or to taste)
- to taste Salt
- To make Lentil fritters: Soak dals in water for at least 30 minutes. Then grind them along with the other ingredients into a coarse paste using little water. Ground paste should not be too watery or too thick. Heat oil in appam pan, fry the ground mixture until golden brown allover. Remove onto a paper towel and set aside.
- To make the Curry: Heat 2tsp oil in a saute pan; add panch phoron and hing and once the seeds start to splutter, add the onions and green chilies. Once onions start translucent, add the potato and cook until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Next add the tomatoes and all the dry masalas. Cover and cook until tomatoes turn mushy. Add salt and 1cup of water and bring the mixture to a simmer. Add the fritters, cook for another minute and serve immediately.