For the very first time this year, I planted couple of leafy greens, spinach (palakura) and sorrel spinach (chukkakura), in my container garden.
My mom sent the seeds from India and I was pleasantly surprised that the greens started to grow within a week and were ready for harvesting in less than 3 weeks.
It has been ages that I had chukkakura pappu (dal), so one call to Amma and in 10 minutes I was I making this healthy & delicious with my first harvest. Chukkakura has a slight tangy taste and tastes great in dals and chutneys.
- ½ cup Toor dal
- 1 Onion – medium, chopped
- 2 Tomato – finely chopped
- 2 chilies Green – slit
- ½ tsp chili powder Red
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- to taste Salt
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 , half chilies Dry red – broken into
- 8 Curry leaves
- Cook toor dal in a pressure cooker until very soft and mushy. Keep aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat 2tsp oil, add the tempering ingredients in the order listed and once the seeds start to splutter, add onions and green chilies. Sauté until onions are translucent.
- Next add chopped tomatoes, cover and cook till they turn mushy.
- Next add the chopped sorrel spinach and cook till the leaves wilt.
- Add red chili powder and salt.
- Finally add the cooked dal, mix well and simmer for 3-4 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Add water if dal seems too thick while cooking.