This recipe is from September of last year. I made this dish with thotakura/ amaranth greens that I harvested from my little container garden, took pictures and after a very emotional and whirlwind India trip completely forgot about it. I thought I’ll clear my drafts before moving ahead with the New Year.
I planted thotakura seeds in my container garden last summer (it seems so long ago) and got decent harvest.
Thotakura Pappu (Amaranth leaves dal)
- 1/2 cup Toor dal (Red gram dal)
- 1 Onion – small, chopped
- 2 Tomatoes - chopped
- 3 chilies Green – slit
- 2 pods Garlic – minced
- 1 tbsp Tamarind paste
- to taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Red chili – broken
- 8 Curry leaves
- Cook the lentils until very soft and mushy.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2tsp oil and add all the tempering ingredients. Once the seeds start to splutter, add onions and green chilies. Cook until onion starts to turn translucent.
- Add the chopped greens, cover and cook until they wilt and cooked through.
- Add tomatoes, tamarind paste and salt, cook for another 5 minutes or until tomatoes turn mushy.
- Stir in cooked lentils and ½ - 1 cup of water (depending on the desired consistency) and simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes.