Blogging Marathon# 55: Week 4/ Day 1
Theme: Bookmarked Recipes
Dish: Cookies & Cream Ice cream
First up is ‘Cookies & cream ice cream’. I read somewhere that ‘Cookies & Cream’ flavor is one of the most popular ice cream flavor and I told this little tidbit to my son. From that point on he started pestering me to make it for him (thanks to the summer vacation, he had too much free time on his hands to pester me).
I had this Cookies & Cream ice cream bookmarked from Brown Eyed Baker from way back when. It is nothing but vanilla ice cream base swirled with crushed chocolate wafer cookies (like oreos). I used my vanilla ice cream base instead of the original recipe base because I know my eggless vanilla ice cream gives a very creamy and decadent ice cream. This was a super success with the kids.
Recipe adapted from here:
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- 2 cups milk Whole
- 1¼ cups Heavy cream
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1½ tbsps Corn Syrup Light
- 1 + 1 tbsp tsps Corn Starch
- 2 tbsp Vanilla extract Pure
- 3 tbsps Cream cheese , softened
- 12 ~ 15 Oreos (or chocolate wafer cookies)crushed
- In a small bowl, whisk corn starch with 3tbsp milk and set aside.
- Combine milk, heavy cream, sugar and light corn syrup in a large sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a boil and let it simmer for 4 minutes or until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Turn off the heat. Gradually add the corn starch mixture. Return to boil and cook on moderately high heat, whisking continuously, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon, about 3~4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream cheese and vanilla extract. Let the mixture cool completely. Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Once thoroughly chilled, follow your ice cream machine instructions to make the ice cream. Stir in the crushed oreos into the ice cream and enjoy right away or freeze for later.