BM# 74: Week 1/ Day 1
Theme: Are you Pudding Me??
Dish: Individual Banana Pudding
It’s time for a new edition of Blogging Marathon and my theme for the first week in March is ‘Are you Pudding Me??’. Valli wanted us to make some puddings and even gave as a Wiki link for research. So I have 3 delicious puddings lined up for this week. First up is this creamy and yummy Banana Pudding recipe. This has been on my to-make list for a very very long time. I even bought a box of Nilla wafers to make sure that I have everything to make the pudding. Bananas are always on hand, but I was either lazy to make the dish or by the time I got ready, the bananas would get too ripe and mushy.So thanks to Valli, I finally made a dessert that I have been literally dreaming about. This pudding has 3 important layers: Vanilla pudding (either made from scratch or from a box), Vanilla Wafers (Nilla brand is quite popular) and Bananas (of course :-)). Whipped cream on top the tops off the whole dessert.Traditionally the pudding is made by cooking milk (and cream) with eggs and cornstrch until nice and creamy. I took a shortcut and used instant Vanilla pudding mix to save some time and also to make the dish eggless. Recipe for the pudding is from here.This dessert can be made in a trifle bowl or as individual banana puddings. I love serving in individual glasses, so that’s how I made these. Tossing the bananas in lemon juice before layering helps in keeping the color and not turning them black.
Individual Banana Pudding
For the Pudding:
- 1 (3.4 oz.) Vanilla Instant Pudding Packet
- ¾ cup Milk (I used a combination of Whole and 1% milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup Condensed Milk
- 2~3 Medium Ripe Banana, sliced
- 1 tbsp Freshly Lemon juice
- 12~15 Vanilla Wafer cookies (like Nilla)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp Confectioners Sugar
Make the Vanilla Pudding:
- Add the pudding mix to a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the milk into the pudding mix until mixed thoroughly.
- Add the vanilla extract, condensed milk and heavy cream. Mix well and set aside to thicken.
Prep the Bananas & Whipped Cream:
- Combine the sliced bananas with lemon juice and set aside.
- Whip the cream with the confectioners sugar until soft peaks form.
Layer the Dessert:
- Spread some pudding on the bottom of the individual glasses or in a large trifle bowl. Top with a layer of vanilla wafers and a layer of banana slices. Continue layering with custard, wafers and banana.
- Top the banana pudding with the whipped cream. Serve right away or chill for couple hours.