BM# 70: Week 1/ Day 1
Theme: Desserts in Glasses
Dish: Quick & Easy Individual Tiramisu
I have a quick tiramisu recipe today that takes just a few minutes to make. I love desserts that are served in glasses, the mini versions of the more elaborate desserts. They are so much nicer to present and are perfect to portion control. So when Valli had ‘Desserts in Glasses’ as a theme for this month’s BM, I knew I had to make some Individual desserts in glasses. I think the very first time I had a mini-version of Tiramisu was at PF Chang’s few years ago. I absolutely loved it, it was creamy, decadent and delicious. It has been on my mind for quite some time now. Recently I was reminded of it and when I checked their site, it looks like they are not serving it any more. So I made it at home 🙂Traditional Tiramisu is made with Italian ladyfingers (or long sugar cookies) that are dipped in liquor-spiked espresso and then layered with feather light zabaglione mixed with mascarpone cheese and whipped cream. But in this quick tiramisu recipe, the egg based zabaglione is completely eliminated, the filling is made with mascarpone cheese and whipped cream.It takes less than 30 minutes to make these individual tiramisu. I added some Kahlua to the espresso, but leave it out if you are serving this to kids. These are perfect make ahead dessert.
Quick & Easy Tiramisu (without Egg recipe)
For the Creamy Filling:
- 4 oz. Mascarpone Cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3~4 tbsp Confectioners Sugar
- 8 Ladyfingers
- 1 tbsp Espresso powder (or Instant Coffee)
- 1/2 cup Hot Water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Kahlua (or other Coffee liquor)
Make the Cream Filling:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk mascarpone until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- In another bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form. Fold cream into the mascarpone mixture and mix until smooth.
Prep the Coffee Syrup:
- In a small bowl, mix hot water and espresso powder. Add sugar, liquor, mix well and set aside to cool.
- Spoon some cream mixture into the bottom of the glass.
- Break the ladyfinger into 2~3 pieces (depending on the size of the serving glass). Soak in the coffee syrup for couple of seconds and place on top of the cream.
- Repeat with cream and more ladyfinger pieces -- 2~3 layers depending on the glass you are using. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.