Blogging Marathon# 27: Week 2/ Day 1
Theme: Traditional dishes
Dish: Pappu Chekkalu/ Thattai
Today we begin the second week our month long blogging marathon. Theme for the next 7 days is going to be traditional dishes. I rarely make traditional dishes myself because I’m not comfortable making them. My mom makes excellent traditional dishes and it’s sad that I have never watched her making them so I can learn to make them myself.
My mom made us quite a few traditional dishes during her recent visit and lucky for me I clicked pictures of some of them, hoping to post them. They have been sitting in the drafts till now and what better time than now to post my mom’s traditional dishes.
- 1 cup Rice flour
- ½ cup All purpose flour
- 2 tbsps Chana dal (senaga pappu) - soaked for at least 30minutes
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds
- 4 - 5 chilies Green
- 2 tbsp Peanuts
- 2 tbsp Ghee Butter /
- to taste Salt
- Grind green chilies and peanuts to a coarse paste.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Add enough water and mix everything to form a stiff dough similar to puri dough. Knead a couple of times.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Take a small lemon size piece of the dough and pat it into a disc on an oiled plastic sheet (ziploc bags are perfect for this task).
- Fry these discs on medium flame until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove onto a paper-towel lined plate and let cool completely before enjoying them. Store completely cooled chekkalu in an air tight container.