These spicy Spinach lentil fritters (Palakura Punukulu) use leftover idli batter and spinach. Crispy on the outside, airy and fluffy on the inside, these are great for breakfast or snack or a light meal.
We are starting the last edition of this year’s Blogging Marathon and my theme for the week is ‘Deep Fried food’. I rarely deep fry anything at home and I wanted to take this as an opportunity to try some recipes this week. So first up is this Palakura Punukulu aka Spinach Lentil fritters made with leftover idli batter, spinach and spiced with chilies and ginger.Idli batter is a staple in most South Indian homes. Because of my laziness, I make it once in a while, but when I do I invariably end up with leftover batter. I usually make these paniyaram aka ponganalu with it. But these deep fried punukulu are even easier to make and don’t need any special equipment (aebliskiver pan).
Punukulu can be made with or without adding any vegetables. Onions, chilies and ginger are usually included. I added some chopped baby spinach because that’s all I had in the fridge. Finely chopped cabbage, green beans, grated carrot etc. would be equally delicious in this recipe.
These deep fried palakura punukulu turned out airy on the inside and crispy on the outside. Both my kids loved these. It was their after school snack, that they totally enjoyed. Leftover punukulu can be served lightly warmed in the microwave. Chutney on the side would be lovely, but they taste great even with some chutney powder or just as is.
Spinach Lentil Fritters
- 2 cups Leftover Idli Batter
- 2 cups Spinach, finely chopped
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Green Chilies, finely chopped
- ½" Ginger piece, finely grated
- 4~6 Curry leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- To taste salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Batter should be thick but pourable.
- Heat oil for deep frying on medium flame. Use 2 spoons for ease. Scoop the batter with one spoon and push it gently into the oil with the other one. Depending on the size of the pan, you can cook may be 4~5 fritters at a time.
- Cook till the fritters are golden brown all over. Serve hot with your favorite chutney or chutney powder. Enjoy!!