Vegetable Idli is a colorful and veggie packed version of traditional plain idli. They are great anytime of the day - for breakfast, lunch or snack.
I remember saying in my previous post that I will try new steamed recipes this week. But here I am with good old idli. In my defense these are not regular ones, these are vegetable idli and they are colorful and flavorful not plain.The real reason for this idli post is that the other dish I planned for today, flopped big time. I took pictures and all, but it wasn’t good enough to be on the blog. So this vegetable idli recipe was my plan B.
This recipe is from a Telugu cooking show and I found it in one of the recipe diaries. It is a pretty straight forward recipe - mix veggies and flavoring into idli batter - steam and enjoy. I usually use this idli recipe from Kannamma cooks and they always turn out soft and fluffy.This is a great way to jazz up leftover idli batter. Also a perfect way to sneak in some veggies for the kids. Serve with some ghee and your favorite chutney or pickle for a delicious any time meal. Here are few more recipes of idli varieties from the blog that you might like:
- 3 cups Idli Batter
- ¼ cup Carrot, grated
- ¼ cup Green Beans, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Spinach, finely chopped
- 2~3 Green Chilies, finely chopped
- 1" piece Ginger, finely grated
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- 3 tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped
- To taste salt
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients. Lightly grease idli plates.
- Pour enough batter into each mold and place the idli plates in a steamer. Steam for 10~12 minutes until the idli are cooked. Gently remove each idli mold and enjoy hot with chutney and/ or chutney powder.