Vegan Pumpkin Pie on Chocolate Crust is an easy to make pie with not much fuss. Filling is made with soaked cashews and the crust with chocolate wafers.
This post is a guest post for a lovely blogger Rafeeda @ The Big Sweet Tooth. True to her blog’s name Rafeeda is very sweet and a gracious host. I was very excited when she invited me to be her guest on her blog. So to celebrate a wonderful person and the beautiful fall season, I made this Vegan Pumpkin Pie on Chocolate Crust.I am not a big fan of pies – ok let me rephrase it, I’m not a big fan of pie crust. It’s too buttery, doughy, heavy and seems completely unnecessary to me. That’s why I stayed away from making a pie for all this time and make individual pumpkin pie instead. But my kids have been asking for pumpkin pie ever since they got pumpkins home from school.
So here’s my clever alternate – chocolate crust. It’s made with crushed chocolate wafer cookies – it’s not doughy or too heavy. Also it doesn’t need to be baked for setting – just it in the fridge for a few minutes, fill with the pie filling, bake and voila a beautiful and delicious pie is ready without much fuss.Now that I’ve told you everything about this amazing pumpkin pie, head over to Rafeeda’s blog to see the guest post.Thank you Rafeeda for this wonderful opportunity.
This post was created originally as a guest post in November 2016. It has been updated in October 2019 with the inclusion of the recipe.
Vegan Pumpkin Pie on Chocolate Crust
For Chocolate Crust:
- 24 Chocolate Wafer Cookies Make sure that the cookies are Vegan
- 4 tbsp Vegan Butter, melted
For Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- 1¼ cups Pumpkin Puree (make sure it is not pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ cup Cashews, soaked in water for 6+ hours and drained
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Tapioca Starch or Corn Starch
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- As needed Coconut Whipped Cream
- For Sprinkling Ground Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Make the Crust: Crush the cookies and take them in a mixing bowl. Add the melted butter and mix well. Divide the mixture evenly between 4 4” pie pans. Press with the fingers to compress the chocolate crumbs and form an even crust.
- Place the pie pans on a baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the Pumpkin Filling: Combine all the ingredients for the pumpkin pie filling in a food processor or blender. Process until a very smooth mixture forms. Scrape the sides couple of times during blending.
- Divide the pumpkin filling between the prepared pie pans and smooth the tops.
- Bake for 35~40 minutes or until the top turns dark and a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean indicating that the filling is set and not gooey anymore.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Serve with a dollop of coconut whipped cream and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.
- It is best to serve the pie the day it’s made, leftovers can be refrigerated and slightly warmed in the microwave before serving, but the test and texture is not the same.
- Or use ½ tsp ground cinnamon+ ¼ tsp ground ginger + pinch of nutmeg and ground cloves