Blogging Marathon# 60: Week 2/ Day 2
Theme: Take-Away dishes from Metropulos, Santa Barbara
Dish: Vegetarian Gyros with Jackfruit
All this talk about Gyro is because I’m cooking from a Greek take-out restaurant, Metropulos, in Santa Barbara for this week’s BM and Gyro happens to be one of their specialties. But they make it meat and I made mine with jackfruit.
There are quite a few different versions of vegetarian gyros online, some with roasted veggies, some with seitan, but this jackfruit version looks a little like meat because of it’s texture. Recipe for the jackfruit gyros is from Vegetarian times magazine.
I usually keep a can of green jackfruit in the pantry to make curries. It can easily be found in well stocked Asian/ Indian groceries. The only time consuming part of the dish is making the jackfruit filling and while that is happening, you can prep for the toppings. I made my own flatbreads to serve the gyros and the recipe I found is super simple — I’ll post it very soon.
Greek Gyros with Jackfruit
To make Gyros:
- 1 20 oz . cans Jackfruit brine Young in , rinsed, drained and pulled apart in shreds
- 1 Onion Large , thinly sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic , finely minced
- 2 tsps Oregano Dried
- 1 tsp Soy sauce Low sodium
- 1 tsp Coriander Ground
- 2 ~ 3 tbsps Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp margarine Vegan or Oil
- To taste Salt Pepper &
To make Sandwiches:
- 4 Pita breads Flatbreads/ ( or Store bought)
- 1 Red Onion Medium , thinly sliced
- 2 tsps Red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsps Parsley Cilantro or , finely chopped
- Hummus As needed (Homemade or Store bought)
- Tzatziki Sauce As needed (Homemade or Store bought)
- Lettuce As needed , shredded
- Tomato As needed , diced
- Cucumber As needed , diced
- Heat margarine or oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3~4 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Next add the shredded jackfruit and cook for 20 minutes or until browned and caramelized.
- Add some water, oregano, soy sauce, coriander, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10~15 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated.
- Finally stir in the lemon juice and set aside.
- In the meantime, toss sliced red onion with red wine vinegar and set aside to marinate.
- To Serve: Warm bread, smear with hummus, pile up with the jackfruit filling and toppings of choice. Serve immediately.