Today I have a recipe for lighter and healthier Cauliflower Risotto today. This dish is made with grated cauliflower instead of the traditional arborio rice. I watched the recipe being made on TV and wanted to try it out myself. It is great vegetarian side dish to make for the holiday parties or as a main dish on a busy week day. Cauliflower has become a go-to substitute for many ingredients in the recent past. It can be used instead of rice like this flavorful biryani that Dolphia made. That’s the next on my list now. Also pizza crust made with cauliflower is on my list of dishes to make.
This cauliflower risotto is much simpler and easier than the one made with rice. There is no need to stir and add broth in stages because grated cauliflower cooks in just about a fraction of the time. So add the liquid all at once and cook till it gets tender.Adding cream and parmesan cheese to the cauliflower risotto gives it nice creamy texture similar to the traditional risotto. Skip them if you want to make a vegan version, it would still be delicious may be not as creamy and cheesy. The vegetable stock that I used was quite dark making the dish look so dark. If you use water or a lighter broth the dish, then you will a lighter shade of risotto.
Linking this to Valli’s ‘Cooking from Cookbook Challenge: ‘November — Week 2′.
- 4 cups Grated Cauliflower About 1 medium-large cauliflower grated on a box grater
- 1 large Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely mined
- 1/2 cup Green Peas, fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup Vegetable broth/ stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp Red Chili flakes
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- To taste Salt Pepper
- Heat oil in a large saute pan. Add crushed red chili flakes, onion and garlic. Cook till the onions turn translucent, about 3~4 minutes.
- Next add the grated cauliflower and saute for 3~4 minutes.
- Stir in the stock and simmer the mixture until cauliflower is completely cooked through, about 8~10 minutes.
- Next add the heavy cream and simmer till the mixture thickens slightly. Stir in the green peas and cook for a few minutes.
- Finally add salt and pepper, Parmesan cheese and lemon zest. Serve hot!!