BM# 76: Week 3/ Day 2
Theme: July 4th Special Dishes
Dish: Grilled Tofu Tikka Kebabs
After yesterday’s grilled potato salad recipe, today I have a grilled tofu tikka kebabs recipe that is 100% vegan, smoky and absolutely delicious. I have made grilled paneer with veggies before but never tried with tofu. Personally I liked the tofu version better because paneer tends to be a little heavy but tofu is light and delightful.These kebabs can be made with any vegetable that is easy to grill — peppers, eggplant, zucchini, onion, mushrooms, cherry/ grape tomatoes etc would be perfect. I used different colored peppers and onions here today.
Kebabs can be flavored any which way you like. You can go Chinese route and marinate tofu in soy sauce, sesame oil, may be a little sriracha sauce. Or go Thai by using peanut butter along with soy sauce/ tamari, rice vinegar, ginger and garlic. Another quick marinade idea would be to use your favorite homemade or store-bought barbecue sauce.But today I went Indian way and marinated tofu in tikka masala, which is basically a spice blend made with ground cumin, garam masala, red chili powder, salt and pepper. Tofu and the veggies are marinated in yogurt (use coconut or soy yogurt for a vegan recipe), tikka spice blend, oil and some lemon juice for at least 30 minutes. They are then threaded on a skewer and grilled until cooked through and charred. (Don’t forget to soak wooden skewers in water for at least 20 minutes to avoid burning).
These grilled tofu tikka kebabs can be served as appetizers at a barbecue. They are also great to serve as a light meal over rice or quinoa (or any other grain) pilaf. I served the kebabs with some lemon quinoa.
Grilled Tofu Tikka Kebabs
For the Tikka Masala:
- 1 cup Soy Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ½~1 tsp Red Chili powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Garam Masala (or Curry powder)
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- To taste salt
- 1 14oz. Extra firm Tofu, drained and chopped
- 1 Small Green Pepper, chopped
- 1 Small Red Pepper, chopped
- 1 Baby Bella Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Large Red Onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped
- Combine all the ingredients for Tikka masala in a large mixing bowl. Add the tofu, peppers and onions. Mix well, cover and set aside for at least 30 minutes and for up to 2 hours.
- Soak the skewers in water for 20~30 minutes.
- Thread the marinated tofu and veggies on to the skewers.
- Heat the grill on medium heat. Lightly grease it with cooking spray. Grill the skewers until nicely grilled on all sides. Serve hot.