After hogging on these yummy cookies, I think it's time for something healthy, yet festive and delicious. This brown lentil salad is very easy to make and will make a great item for a holiday menu or even for potlucks. You can adapt the recipe and add nuts or cheese (feta would be excellent) to make it even more holiday worthy.
The recipe is slightly sweet and tart with the agave & dried cranberries and crunchy with the toasted walnuts. Dish can be served at room temperature or chilled, which is perfect for a make ahead menu.
Here's how I made it:
- 1 cup Lentils Brown
- ½ cup Walnuts
- ½ cup Cranberries Dried
For the Dressing:
- 3 tsp Lemon juice
- 2 tsps Agave Nectar (Use honey for a non-vegan version)
- 1 tbsp Parsley (or Cilantro) - finely chopped
- to taste Salt Pepper &
- Cook lentils in 4 cups of water as per package instructions (bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are tender). Take care not to make them mushy. Drain the excess water and set the lentils aside to cool slightly.
- Make the dressing: Whisk all the ingredients for dressing in a small bowl.
- Pour dressing on the lentils along with walnuts and cranberries. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.