This is one of my very favorite dishes and I miss my mom’s pappu charu. It is very simple to make and very delicious. I don’t know if it’s in the dal my mom uses or in the way she makes it, my dish never tastes like hers. This is my comfort dish that I makes me feel I’m back with my mom.
Pesarapappu Charu (Moong dal Rasam)
Servings: 46 serving
- 1 cup Moong dal (Pesara pappu)
- 1 Red onion – medium, chopped
- 2 Tomatoes (ripe), medium, chopped
- 3 chilies Green
- 2 tbsps Lemon juice
- 1 tsp chili powder Red
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Fenugreek seeds (menthulu)
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 chilies Red
- pinch Asafoetida
- Pressure cook dal till done with onions, tomatoes, green chilies, chili powder, turmeric and ¼ tsp of fenugreek seeds.
- Heat 1tsp oil in a sauce pan, add mustard and cumin seeds. After the seeds splutter, add red chilies and hing.
- Add the seasoning and 1 cup of water to the dal and cook for about 10 minutes on medium flame.
- Add lemon juice and chopped coriander after removing from the flame and mix well.