Blogging Marathon# 36: Week 3/ Day 2
Theme: Ethiopian Cuisine
Dish: Mesir Wat (Ethiopian Lentil Stew)
Ethiopian cuisine is very vegetarian friendly. There are a number of vegetable based and lentil based dishes that are perfect options for vegetarians and vegans. Today I have a lentil based dish called Mesir Wat. Wat is like stew and Mesir Wat loosely means lentil stew.
Mesir Wat (Ethiopian Lentil Stew)
- 1 cup Red lentils Masoor dal /
- 1 Onion - medium, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger+Garlic paste
- 2 chilies Green - slit
- ½ cup Tomato puree
- 1 ~ 2 tbsp Berbere Spice
- to taste Salt
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a medium sauce pan; add onions and green chilies, cook till onions are translucent, about 3~4 minutes.
- Add ginger+garlic paste and cook for 1 minute. Next add tomato puree and berbere spice, cook for 2~3 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water (or vegetable stock or a combination of water and stock), bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer covered until lentils are cooked through, tender and creamy, this will take about 15~20 minutes.
- Season with salt, mix well and serve hot over injera or as is.