Blogging Marathon# 32: Letter T
Theme: A-Z Vegetarian Dishes of Andhra Pradesh
Dish: Thelaga Pindi Kura
Letter T stands for Thotakoora (amaranth leaves). I actually made a dish with thotakoora for today, but changed it a more traditional and lesser known dish at the last minute because my mom brought Thelaga Pindi from India.
To be honest, I’ve never heard about Thelaga pindi while in India. It is only recently that I started seeing it on Telugu cooking shows.After extracting oil from sesame seeds, the pulp that is leftover is ground to a powder and that powder is called Thelaga pindi. It has all the nutrients present in sesame seeds and is considered especially good for new-mothers. Infact as per my mom, today’s dish is made on the 11th day after delivery for the new mom.
Today’s dish has thelega pindi and dal (pappu) as the main ingredients. Thelaga pindi can be used in other vegetable curries similar to roasted sesame seed powder.
Thelaga Pindi Kura
- ½ cup Toor Dal Masoor dal / Red
- to taste Salt
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Chana dal
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 red chili Dry
- 2 chilies Green - finely chopped
- 8 - 10 Curry leaves
- Cook dal until tender but not mushy. Dal should hold shape, may be one whistle in the pressure cooker. Alternately you can cook in open pot for 10-12 minutes. Since masoor dal cooks very quickly, cook for 6-8 minutes only. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Add salt to taste. Slowly stir in thelaga pindi and mix well until cooked through. This happens very fast, so keep an eye on it. Keep aside.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a nonstick, add the tempering ingredients and once the seeds start to splutter, add the cooked dal and thelaga pindi. Mix well and season with salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture dries up and cooked through.
- Serve with steamed rice.
G for Gongura Pulihora
H for Haleem/ Vegetarian Haleem
I for Iguru/ Vankaya-Senagapappu Iguru
J for Jonna Pindi Kudumulu K for Kakarakaya Podi Kura
L for Lauju/ Laskora (Kobbari Lauju)
M for Menthi kura Pappu
N for Nuvvulu-Mamidikaya Pachadi
O for Onion Pachadi
P for Pindi Miriyam Q for Qabooli Biryani R for Ragi-Barley Sankati S for Sheer Qurma