Blogging Marathon#65: Week 4/ Day 1
Theme: Bookmarked Recipes
Dish: Wheat flour Kuzhi Paniyaram from Sandhya
We are starting the last week of blogging marathon today and my theme is ‘Bookmarked Recipes‘. This happens to be one of my favorite themes because it gives me a chance to try some of the recipes that I bookmarked. First up are these delicious Wheat flour Kuzhi Paniyaram from Sandhya.Sandhya made these instant paniyaram for the mega marathon and they looked too good to pass up. So I bookmarked them and tried them right away. Paniyarams are usually made with leftover idli batter, but this instant version uses atta (or whole wheat flour) and doesn’t need any fermenting.I was surprised how soft and fluffy these turned out when cooked. They are great for breakfast, snack and to pack for lunch. They are best when served hot, but taste good even at room temperature. Serve them with your favorite chutney or tomato ketchup and Enjoy!!
Recipe from Sandhya’s blog:
Wheat flour Kuzhi Paniyaram
- ¾ cup Wheat flour Atta /
- ¼ cup Rawa Semolina /
- 2 tbsps Rice flour
- ½ cup Yogurt
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- 1 Onion small , finely chopped
- 2 ~ 3 Chilies Green , finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger , finely grated
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- A pinch Asafoetida / Hing
- 6 ~ 8 Curry leaves
- 2 tbsps Cilantro , finely chopped
- To taste Salt
- In a bowl, combine wheat flour, sooji, rice flour and salt. Mix well.
- Next add the yogurt and enough water to make a thick batter. Make sure to whisk well to make sure that there are no lumps in the batter.
- In a small pan, heat 2tsp oil and add urad dal, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once the seeds start to splutter, add hing, curry leaves, ginger and onions. Cook till the onions turn translucent. Season with salt. Do not add too much because the batter already has salt in it.
- Add the onion mixture to wheat batter along with cilantro and mix well.
- Heat the appam pan, add about 1/2tsp oil in each hole. Add about 1~2tbsp of the batter, cover the pan and cook the paniyarams until golden brown. Gently flip and cook until golden on the second side.
- Remove and serve with your favorite chutney.