Cole slaws, potato salads & egg salads are not highly preferred dishes for picnics since these are mayonnaise based and at higher temperatures mayo tends to go bad. But I could not stop myself from making this dish, since I love egg salad and caramelized onions and I was sure the combination of both would be delicious. I wasn't wrong; the end result was creamy, yummy and irresistible. You could serve it as is or with bread, wrapped or sandwiched. I enjoyed it with bread as a late afternoon snack with whole-wheat bread.
Recipe adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine.
- 4 Eggs – boiled, cooled and peeled
- 2 Onions – medium, thinly sliced
- 1 clove Garlic – , finely minced
- ½ tsp thyme Dried
- 2 - 3 tbsps Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp Hot sauce (or more if you are adventurous)
- to taste Salt Pepper &
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a medium sauté pan; add chopped onions and cook on low flame, stirring occasionally until onions are nicely browned (not burned) and caramelized, takes about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and thyme; cook for couple of minutes. Season the onions with salt and pepper. If the onions start to stick to the pan, add a couple of tablespoons of water and scrape up the brown bits. Once completely cooked, set the onions aside until cooled.
- Cube the boiled eggs.
- Add cooled caramelized onions, mayo, mustard, hot sauce, salt and pepper to the eggs and mix gently to incorporate.