I love anything made with eggplant (brinjal) and this is one of my absolute favorite recipe (I know I said the same thing for a lot of my other eggplant recipes and they all countJ). This dish tastes delicious and the aroma of cilantro cooking with eggplant is just wonderful. I used small Indian brinjal and I think they have the most flavor compared to Japanese or American eggplants.
Vankaya Kottimeera Karam Kura (Eggplant in Cilantro Gravy)
- 10 – 12 eggplants Indian – cubed
For the Masala paste:
- 1 cup Cilantro (coriander leaves)
- 6 Chilies (or according to taste) Green
- 1 Ginger ” – piece
- ¼ cup Coconut Grated (fresh or dry)
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Chana dal
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 chilies (optional) Red
- 6 Curry leaves
- Grind all the ingredients for the masala paste with water. Add just enough water to grind, so that the paste is not too thick or too runny. Keep aside.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a pan, add the popu ingredients and after the seeds splutter and the dals turn light brown, add curry leaves and eggplant pieces. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for about 8-10 minutes or until the eggplants are half way cooked.
- Mix in the cilantro paste and salt; cover and cook until eggplants are completely tender and the masala paste doesn’t smell raw anymore. This will take 10 more minutes.
- Serve hot with rice and dal for a wholesome meal.