Blogging Marathon# 59: Week 3/ Day 3
Theme: Stuffed Dishes
Dish: Navratan Paratha
As the name suggests this paratha recipe is stuffed with 9 gems or Nav-ratan or 9 different veggies and dry fruit. All the 9 ingredients are boiled and mashed along with spices and then stuffed inside the dough to make the parathas.
It is very important to make a soft dough while making these parathas. If the dough is stiff, then it becomes difficult to stuff and roll it out. So make sure to make a soft dough and knead it well.
With so many veggies stuffed right into the paratha, this dish doesn’t require any side dish. Serve with some yogurt and pickle and you have a filling and delicious meal.
For the dough:
- 1½ cups Wholewheat flour Atta /
- To taste Salt
For the Stuffing:
- 1 Potato Small
- 1 Carrot Small , finely chopped
- 6 ~ 8 Green beans , finely chopped
- ½ cup Cabbage , grated
- ¼ cup Green Peas
- ½ cup Peppers , finely chopped
- 2 tbsps Almonds , chopped
- 1 tbsp Cashews , chopped
- 1 tbsp Raisins
- 1 ~ 2 chilies Green , finely chopped
- 1 tsp Coriander Ground
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- ½ tsp chili powder Red (adjust per taste)
- To taste Salt
- Make the filling: Boil potato until very tender. Set aside.
- Steam or boil or microwave carrot, peppers, green beans, cabbage, green peas, almonds, cashews and raisins until very tender, takes about 5~8 minutes. Drain the water and let the veggies cool slightly. Don't forget to reserve the drained water, it is full of healthy goodness.
- When the veggies are cool enough to handle, mash the veggies until smooth. Divide the filling into 8~10 equal balls.
- For the Dough: Combine atta, oil and salt in a mixing bowl. Add enough water to make a soft, pliable dough. Cover and set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Make the parathas: Divide the dough into 8~10 equal size balls. Flatten the disc making sure that it is thick in the middle and thin around the edges. Place one veggie ball in the middle and fold the dough over the filling. Gently flatten in it and roll out each piece into 5~6" round paratha.
- Place it on a hot tawa and cook on medium flame until golden and brown spots form, flip and cook till golden on the other side. Brush with melted butter or oil once done. Serve hot.