Aloo Tikki Wrap (Potato patty wrap)
Blogging Marathon# 33: Week 1/ Day 1
Theme: Combo Dishes - Tikkis/ Burgers
Dish: Aloo Tikki Wrap (Potato patty wrap)
After our month long Mega marathon last month with A-Z Andhra dishes, we are back to our regular 3 days a week Blogging marathon this month. My theme for the for the first week is 'Combo Dishes' involving tikkis and burgers. When I signed up I wasn't sure what I would be cooking for this week. After all the planning, cooking and blogging non-stop for a whole month, this week feels so unplanned and on the spur of the moment. I haven't cooked the dishes for next 2 days, hopefully they will be done on time.
My mom and my sister along with my niece are here with us. I'm enjoying the company and my mom's Andhra dishes. In turn I'm trying new recipes on them -- it's a win-win situation for me, not sure if they think so or not :-)
For the first day I made Aloo tikkis and served them inside wraps with some pickled red onions and shredded cabbage. I served these for dinner and everyone seemed to like them. I should have taken the pictures of the tikkis themselves but didn't, as usual will have to blame the distracting kids that I had to shoo off during the photo shoot :-)
I added only green peas to the tikkis, but you can use any other vegetable like carrot, green beans, corn etc. I flavored them with some pav bhaji masala and chaat masala. Sky is the limit for the number of variations these tikkis can have. So have fun with the ingredients and also the flavorings.
To add some crunch to the wraps, I made pickled red onions and shredded some savoy cabbage. All in all this is a very filling and tasty meal/ snack/ sandwich.
Pickled Red Onions: Recipe adapted from thekitchn.
Aloo Tikki Wrap
For the Aloo Tikkis:
Pickled red onions:
- For the tikkis: Mash the boiled potatoes in a mixing bowl Heat 2tsp oil in a saute pan; add onions and cook until translucent, about 4~5 minutes. Add ginger-garlic paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Next add green peas, chili powder, pav bhaji masala, ground cumin and salt. Cook for 2~3 minutes. Turn off the heat and add chaat masala and lemon juice.
- Add the onion mixture to the mashed potatoes. Also add bread crumbs and flour. Mix well to form a smooth dough.
- Divide this mixture into equal size balls. These can be shaped either as long rolls, like kebabs or patted down into round patties. Shallow fry the tikkis in 3~4tbsp oil until golden brown on both sides. Remove them onto paper towel lined plate.
- Make cabbage slaw: Mix lemon juice and salt in the shredded cabbage. Other grated veggies like carrot, peppers, zucchini can also be added to this slaw.
- To make Wraps: Microwave the wraps for 15~20 seconds or util pliable. Place tikki(s) on the lower half of the wrap, top it with shredded cabbage and pickled red onion. Roll tthe wrap up from the bottom tucking in the sides to hold the filling. Serve immediately.
- Pickled Red Onions: Combine vinegar, salt, sugar, chili, garlic and cilantro in a small bowl.
- Place the sliced onions in a sieve or colander. Bring 2cups of water to a boil. Pour the boiling water on the red onions and drain well.
- Add the drained onions to the vinegar mixture, mix well and cover and set aside for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Serve on sandwiches etc. These can stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.