Homemade Cuban Bread recipe
Recipe from King Arthur Flour:
Homemade Cuban Bread
- Combine all the ingredients for the bread in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of the stand mixer. Mix and knead until a smooth, supple dough forms; about 6~8 minutes by hand or 5~8 minutes on the stand mixer.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and let rise for 1 hour or until the dough is puffy but not necessarily doubled in volume.
- Gently fold the dough upon itself and turn it upside down after 30 minutes; this turn helps in eliminating some of the carbon dioxide and redistributing the yeasts's food, both important for optimum yeast growth.
- Divide the dough into 6 pieces and shape each one into a log. Cover and let the logs rest for 15 minutes. Then shape each piece into a 8" long log that is tapered on both sides (this shape has a fancy name, batard -- say that with a French accent :-)
- Place the loaves on a parchment lined or lightly greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Brush or spray the loaves with water and using a sharp knife slash a long slit lengthwise down the middle of each loaf.
- Bake the bread for 30 minutes or until they are golden brown. Remove onto a cooling rack.