After seeing the different recipes for Mor Kozhumbu/ Kadis/Majjiga pulusu on various blogs, I wanted to post Andhra version of majjiga pulusu. I used potato, carrot, spinach and bachali kura (Poi/ Pasali Keerai/ Basella alba Stewaret). You can also use bottle gourd (sorakaya), okra etc.
This dish is usually served with small lentil vadas (dumplings) on the side. Vadas are extremely simple to make; ingredients as exactly same as the masala paste. If you plan to make the wadas, just use a bit more of all the ingredients and grind into a thick paste without adding water. Make into small dumplings and deep fry. Enjoy them as is or soaked in the majjiga pulusu. Yummy!!!!
- 1 Potato - medium, cut into thick long slices
- 1 Carrot - medium, cut into thick long slices
- 1/2 cup Spinach - chopped
- 1 cup Yogurt (sour yogurt is preferred)
For the paste:
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1 tbsp Toor dal
- 1 tsp Raw rice
- 2 tbsps coconut Grated (fresh or dry)
- 1/4 Ginger "
- 3 - 4 chilies Green
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 chilies Red
- 6 Curry leaves
To make the paste:
- Soak rice, chana and toor dal for about 30 minutes in warm water. Grind them along with all the other ingredients into a smooth paste with water.
To make the pulusu:
- Boil potatoes and carrots with turmeric and salt in about 1 cup of water. When these veggies are slightly tender, after about 10 minutes, add the chopped greens and boil till they wilt.
- Meanwhile whisk yogurt into smooth consistency with no lumps.
- Add the paste, yogurt, salt (to taste) and turmeric to the boiled veggies. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for about 10 minutes. If you think the mixture is too thick, add water to bring to your desired consistency.
- Remove from heat when it comes to a slow simmer and do the popu. Heat 1 tsp ghee in a small pan, add the popu ingredients and when they splutter, add to the majjiga.
- Serve with rice and vadas.