Danish Aebleskivers are traditionally as dessert during Christmas. They are crispy on the outside and airy in the inside.
For the final day of this week’s Blogging Marathon under ‘Scandinavian Recipes’, I made these fluffy and delicious Danish Aebleskivers. These are basically pancake balls cooked in a special Aebleskiver pan. They are crispy on the outside, fluffy and airy in the inside.Aebleskiver literally means ‘apple slices’ in Danish but it is not a requirement to have apples in the pancakes. These are very popular in Denmark during Christmas time and are traditionally served as dessert. These pancakes taste like a combination of donuts and pancakes.Luckily I didn’t have to buy the special pan because I have a paniyaram pan. We make savory dishes in appam pan in South India. I love making these whole wheat kuzhi paniyaram or these mixed vegetable paniyaram in my pan. This is the first time I made a Western style dish in the paniyaram pan.Batter used to make Danish Aebleskivers is almost like pancake batter. Apple slices or applesauce can be added as filling. By kids love chocolate, so I added chocolate chips to the pancakes. Once cooked, the chocolate is melted and oozes out when cut into it. My kids LOVED these Danish Aebleskivers and I’m sure I’ll be making these often now.
Vegan Danish Aebleskivers
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup Wholewheat Pastry Flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 3 tbsp Canola Oil or melted Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp Egg replacer powder whisked in 6tbsp water
- As needed Dark or Semisweet Chocolate chips (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt and sugar. Whisk to combine.
- In a measuring cup, stir together almond milk, oil and egg replacer mixture.
- Stir in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Heat the aebleskiver pan on medium-high heat. Lightly grease the pan with cooking spray.
- Pour about 1tbsp batter into each of the cavity and quickly place 2~3 chocolate chips in the center of the batter. Use a spoon or knife to gently push the chocolate chips into the batter. Cover and cook for 2~3 minutes or until golden on the bottom. Gently flip the aebleskivers using chop sticks or a butter knife and cook the other side for another 2~3 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the pan and keep them warm until ready to serve. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve warm with maple syrup and fruit.