This recipe is from September of last year. I made this dish with thotakura/ amaranth greens that I harvested from my little container garden, took pictures and after a very emotional and whirlwind India trip completely forgot about it. I thought I’ll clear my drafts before moving ahead with the New Year.
I planted thotakura seeds in my container garden last summer (it seems so long ago) and got decent harvest.
Ingredients:Toor dal (Red gram dal) – 1 cup
Thotakura (Amaranth leaves) – 2-3 cups, finely chopped
Onion – 1 small, chopped
Tomatoes - 2, chopped
Green chilies – 3, slit
Garlic – 2 pods, minced
Tamarind paste – 1tbsp
Salt – to taste
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Cumin seeds – 1tsp
Red chili – 1, broken
Curry leaves – 8
- Cook the lentils until very soft and mushy.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2tsp oil and add all the tempering ingredients. Once the seeds start to splutter, add onions and green chilies. Cook until onion starts to turn translucent.
- Add the chopped greens, cover and cook until they wilt and cooked through.
- Add tomatoes, tamarind paste and salt, cook for another 5 minutes or until tomatoes turn mushy.
- Stir in cooked lentils and ½ - 1 cup of water (depending on the desired consistency) and simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice and a curry for a complete meal.
I’m sending this dal over to MLLA-43rd Edition being guest hosted by Claire @ Chez Cayenne.